The Treasury strives to ensure that public funds, as well as those funds entrusted to government are used efficiently and effectively for their intended purpose. In this regard, and in order to further strengthen the coordination of economic governance programmes, the Treasury is committed to working with other Ministries, Departments and Agencies in the government to enhance financial integrity and advance good governance. The Treasury therefore established the Governance Unit in the Ministry of Finance in pursuit of these objectives with the following mandate:
- To coordinate and oversee the implementation of economic governance programmes on behalf of the Treasury
- To ensure compliance and the enhancement of accountability and financial integrity in the use of public resources
- To monitor and report periodically on the implementation of programmes, projects and economic governance targets. These include the Governance Strategy and Action Plan (GSAP) 2010, the Strategies for Elimination of Corruption in the Public Service (KIA I and II communiquÃ©s), National Anti Corruption Plan (NACP), African Peer Review Mechanism (APRM) National Plan of Action etc.
- To facilitate the implementation, development and utilization of e-systems for transparency and accountability in financial management
- To advise on and review policy where appropriate for good economic governance
- To inform, educate and communicate on economic governance reforms
- To consult, partner and coordinate with relevant stakeholders.