Directorate of Accounting Services and Quality Assurance
The Directorate headed by a Director General, Accounting Services and Quality Assurance reporting to the Principal Secretary, National Treasury. It is organized into the following five (5) Technical Departments each headed by a Director:
- Government Accounting Services
- Internal Audit Department
- Financial Management Information Services (IFMIS)
- National Sub-County Treasuries.
- Government Digital Payment Unit
The functions of this directorate will include:
- Legislation and oversight of financial and accounting policies;
- Designing and prescribing an efficient financial management system for the national and county governments to ensure transparent financial management and standard reporting;
- Promote transparency, effective management and accountability with regard to public finances in the Public Service;
- Development of appropriate policies and procedures to guide the internal audit function.
- n consultation with the Public Sector Accounting Standards Board, ensure that uniform accounting standards are applied by the national government and its entities;
- Developing policy for the establishment, management, operation and winding up of public funds;
- Assisting county governments to develop their capacity for efficient, effective and transparent financial management in consultation with Cabinet Secretary, Planning and Devolution.
- Establish systems for ensuring proper management, control and accounting for the finances of the national government and its entities;
- Co-ordinate the preparation of annual appropriation accounts and other statutory financial reports of the national government;
- Consolidate reports of annual appropriations accounts and other statutory financial statements of the national government and county governments and their entities;
- Develop accounting standards, reporting guidelines and undertake research in identified areas of financial reporting;
- Initiate Legislation and oversight of internal audit standards and policies;
- Customization and roll-out of IFMIS across government and counties;
- Develop effective interfaces with other PFM and e-government systems;
- Issue guidelines to National Government entities with respect to financial matters and monitoring;
- Undertake research to inform Policy development;
- Facilitate budget implementation;
- Secretariat to the Public Sector Accounting Standards Board
- Liaise with the Controller of Budget and Auditor General on public financial matters.