DIRECTORATE OF PUBLIC PRIVATE PARTNERSHIPS
The Public Private Partnerships (PPP) Directorate, which is headed by a Director – General, is the technical arm of the PPP Committee and is mandated to facilitate implementation of the Public Private Partnership Programme and Projects in Kenya. The PPP Directorate’s functions include:
- Originating, guiding and coordinating the selection, ranking and prioritization of public private partnership projects within the public budget framework;
- Overseeing project appraisal and development activities of contracting authorities including providing technical expertise in the implementation of projects;
- Leading contracting authorities in project structuring, procurement, tender evaluation, contract negotiation and deal closure;
- On its own motion, originating and leading in project structuring and procurement, in liaison with a contracting authority;
- Supporting the development of public private partnership programmes in the country;
- Overseeing contract management frameworks for PPP projects;
Fiscal Risks Arising from Public Private Partnerships
The Public Private Partnership (PPP) framework has over the years enabled the Government of Kenya to implement high quality infrastructure projects especially in the energy and roads sectors. These infrastructure projects have helped buttress and build resilience in the Kenyan economy, moving it towards achieving its full potential.
PPPs however, also come with fiscal risks. The Government appreciates the importance of monitoring fiscal risks and has over the years included a fiscal risk statement as an annex in Budget Policy Statement published annually in February each year. However, this fiscal risk statement has not covered adequately the risks that may arise from PPPs.
The PPP directorate of the National Treasury has therefore prepared a statement on fiscal risks that may arise from PPPs and wishes to inform the general public of the availability of this report. Going forward, this report will be part of the annual Fiscal Risk Statement to be published together with the Budget Policy Statement.
The statement can be accessed through the link below and any comments from the public can be sent to Director General Public Private Partnerships through PPPUnit@gmail.com
For more information on the Directorate, kindly visit: www.pppunit.go.ke